Are you still on edge about planning a trip for later on in the year, or are you reading and waiting for the barriers to open?
While many of us are sat at home planning future trips and deciding on where to go and when – Tripadvisor has recently released it’s annual Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards for Destinations, highlighting the best places to visit in 2021 and beyond.
The list highlights the popular, trending and emerging destinations around the world, including a new category for 2021 – National Parks (unfortunately this category is for US territories).
With restrictions forcing us to take trips a lot closer to home, a recent survey of Tripadvisor travellers stated that more than half (52%) are now more than likely to take an outdoor/nature-inspired trip in the future.
So this sees a lot of the most searched, most saved and most in-demand places on the Tripadvisor website are almost entirely outdoor destinations.
“Alongside the latest vaccine developments, pent-up demand is prompting the world to think more about travel in 2021,”Christine Maguire, vice president and general manager, global media business at Tripadvisor.
Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice 2021 – Emerging Destinations (World)
- Martinique – This Gallic toehold in the Caribbean exudes a distinctly French air, enticingly spiced up by West Indian warmth. Local culture and cuisine combine both influences. The stylish isle is dominated by Mount Pelee, which destroyed the city of St. Pierre in 1902. Black sand beaches and rainforests are found in the north, with yet more beautiful sands to the south. Sights include La Pagerie, the birthplace of Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, and Diamond Rock, a 600-foot pinnacle, once registered as a British warship.
- Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
- Armacao dos Buzios, Brazil
- Holbox Island, Mexico
- St Ives, United Kingdom – St. Ives boasts a quartet of golden-sand beaches. Sheltered coves draw swimmers and sun-worshippers, but water-sports aficionados visit St. Ives for great surfing, windsurfing and water-skiing conditions. And on your way there, keep your eyes peeled for a dude with seven wives. You never know when nursery rhymes might come true.
- Mazatlan, Mexico
- Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
- Shoalhaven, Australia
- Wroclaw, Poland
- Mudgee, Australia – History lovers rejoice! Mudgee is about to become your favourite holiday destination. Explore the heritage of this New South Wales town through expertly restored Gold Rush-era buildings and an extensive selection of artefacts at the Gulgong Pioneers Museum. Nature enthusiasts will love the moss-covered rocks and oversized ferns in Ferntree Gully, while would-be artists will want to check out the bold canvases and handmade ceramics by local artisans. Prefer exploring by bike? This region offers everything from gentle rides through the countryside to dirt back roads made for mountain biking.
- Annecy, France
- Jeju Island, South Korea
- Tromso, Norway
- Ubatuba, Brazil
- Dresden, Germany – On the banks of the lovely Elbe River, the German city of Dresden is lush and green, filled with forests and gardens and parks. The city is rich with cultural and artistic history; the great operatic composer Wilhelm Wagner debuted several works here in the 1800s and, today, an independent light opera company keeps the classical art form modern and fresh. Culture vultures will love the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister and Grünes Gewölbe museums, and architecture buffs will salivate over the mélange of styles reflected in the cityscape.
You can check out the full list of top Emerging Destinations in the world, and more information on each place here.
Some of the other categories featured trending destinations across America such as Gatlinburg (Tennessee), St Augustine (Florida), and Fort Myers Beach (Florida). And US National Parks including Grand Teton National Park (Wyoming), Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona), and Zio National Park (Utah). Again reinforcing the theme of outdoor activities and no crowds.
Are there any places on this list that you’re planning to visit? Or any that you’ve never thought about but have caught your eye? Let us know on Twitter or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org